Tuesday, March 6, 2012

whole wheat banana date muffins with honey


This week has been crazy with cooking and baking projects! I've got my final project coming up for my photography class and, big surprise, I chose to photograph food. Coming up, I have some pretty exciting things in the Unhip Squirrel arsenal - a chickpea curry, some cupcakes, a ridiculous chocolate cake (it's baking as we speak - exciting does not even begin to describe this), some fun cookies... I can't wait to share it all with you. 

Whole wheat banana date muffins are not part of my project. I made them because for my curry, I needed to buy dates and the only size available was HUGE (Thank you, Metro! ugh). So I had plenty of dates that needed using, and the result were these muffins. Stand by for more datey things. I've got plenty left.

These muffins were mainly sweetened with the dates and with banana. There was a little bit of honey, but not much. They were the perfect sweetness for me, but if you like your muffins pretty sweet, you might want to add more. That being said, I really recommend leaving them as is!

whole wheat banana date muffins with honey
Adapted from bestrecipes.com.au

Makes 12 muffins.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 dates pitted and quartered
6 tablespoons unsalted butter 
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk + 1 teaspoon plain vinegar)
2 tablespoons honey

  • Preheat your oven to 350º and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
  • In a medium sized bowl, combine flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
  • Over medium low heat, melt butter in a saucepan. Add the dates and saute until they no longer stick together and the butter has taken on some of the sweetness.
  • In a second medium bowl, combine bananas, eggs, buttermilk and honey. Add the date mixture.
  • Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet. Stir until you have eliminated the flour patches. 
  • Bake for approximately 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment