Friday, November 25, 2011

sour cream blueberry scones


You know what's counterproductive to exercising? Sour cream blueberry scones, served piping hot from the oven. Hot enough to burn your hands when pulling them apart. Even further negating all the hard work I did in the morning is that homemade lemon curd I served it with, too. Not good at all. How about the clotted cream, you ask? I hoped you hadn't noticed. Well, I ate that too and I'm not sorry about it.

Winnie Abramson posted this recipe on her blog, Healthy Green Kitchen. It comes from (not that) Pam Anderson's book, Cook without a Book: Meatless Meals - Recipes and Techniques for Part-Time and Full-Time Vegetarians. I was immediately drawn to this recipe because of the sour cream - it's a little different from the scones I usually make, but more importantly, I had a tub of sour cream in the fridge that was on the cusp of expiring. I love it when I get to use up stuff like that. It makes me feel like a domestic goddess (even though the laundry has been sitting in a pile on the cough, ready to be folded, all day).

Another great thing about this recipe? She does the grating frozen butter thing. Seriously people - this is the best little trick in the world for keeping your pies, scones and biscuits flaky. 

I didn't adapt the recipe much, though I drastically cut the sugar as I'm prone to do. I was also generous with the lemon zest.

sour cream blueberry scones

makes 6-8 scones
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, frozen solid and grated on a cheese grater
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 large egg
2 tablespoons sugar, plus additional sugar for sprinkling
1 heaping teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup sour cream

  • Preheat your oven to 400ºF and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
  • In a small bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, lemon zest and sour cream.
  • In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add butter and work with your hands until it resembles a coarse meal.
  • Add blueberries and distribute them evenly with your fingers.
  • Incorporate the egg mixture into the flour mixture until all the loose flour has been picked up by the dough. You may need to add a tablespoon or two of chilled water to get it done.
  • Scoop dough onto baking tray. Your uncooked scones should be about the size of a fist. If you're a small girl, that is.
  • Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until your scones are browning on the sides and bottoms. If you're daring, serve with lemon curd and clotted cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment