Tuesday, November 8, 2011

dijon chicken with rosemary


This chicken was not much to look at. I struggled with whether or not to blog it based on its looks. I've posted ugly foods on this blog before (pulled pork with bourbon orange coriander barbecue sauce comes to mind, as does pea and mint soup), but as I progress through this blog, my standards are getting a little higher. With experience comes improvement. Improvement was not evident in any of the photographs taken. Only struggle, oversized garnish and ugly chicken.

Then I tasted the ugly chicken.

My head exploded. Again.

See, I used to make this chicken all the time. Seriously, all the time, back in my early days in Montreal, housewifing it as an anglo in a city that pretty much requires that you're bilingual to get a job. I made it so often that I got sick of it.

Now I remember why I made it so much - because it is ridiculous. David Beckham is to soccer as this dijon chicken is to food. Michelangelo's Pietà is to art as this dijon chicken is to food. What does this dijon chicken have in common with George Clooney? Ridiculous, ridiculous, ridiculous deliciousness. So what are you waiting for?

dijon chicken with rosemary
From Chef Louis-François Marcotte

1/4 cup dijon mustard
2-3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (approx. 6 thighs)

Combine first four ingredients in a medium bowl or tupperware, then add salt and pepper to taste. Mix, then add chicken thighs and stir to coat. If you're using a tupperware, put the lid on and shake that baby to make sure all the good stuff gets everywhere!

Marinate it in the fridge for 2 hours. Don't skip this. Really. This is where the magic happens!

Preheat your oven to 400ºF and bake your chicken for approximately 25 to 30 minutes, or until it is cooked through the centre. Remember that as these are thighs, the colour when cooked will be a little darker and pinker than chicken breast. If you're not sure, use a meat thermometer! You'll know they're done when they've reached an internal temperature of 165ºF.

These are really nice served with roasted or mashed potatoes and a simple green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment