Wednesday, November 16, 2011

emily's green olive hummus


This hummus is the brainchild of my cousin Emily. We had planned an afternoon of girl movies and face masks, and when Emily and I get together, we tend to do copious amounts of eating. Knowing this, Emily brought along this green olive hummus that she'd made. I immediately demanded the recipe and was ultimately rewarded with an approximation - Emily's an 'a little of this, a little of that' kind of cook.

We have stories, many of which are too shameful to share here. When we're together, the first thing that people notice is that we have the same laugh. She and I also have the same sense of humour, one which she archly says is 'too sophisticated' for Adam, who doesn't think our jokes are funny.

The first time I made this, I used unstuffed olives and just added a couple of cloves of garlic myself. It came out waaaay too potent, especially with the onions added. I would stick to using garlic stuffed olives - that way, the flavour is not so overpowering. You can also replace some of the olive oil with more olive juice from the olive container. I would have done that if I hadn't drained my olives into the sink too soon. Remember when seasoning the hummus that olives themselves are very salty. You won't need as much salt as you think!

emily's green olive hummus

19 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup garlic-stuffed green olives
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive juice (from the olive container)
up to 1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped green onion
  • Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend well. 
  • Put the hummus in the fridge for at least one hour before eating - this helps the flavours to mingle! Serve with bread, pita, carrots, crackers... however you usually do your hummus.

No comments:

Post a Comment