Wednesday, January 11, 2012

healthy harvest muffins


 So, it's already been established that I suffer from stupid-huge cookie syndrome. I also have chronic stupid-huge muffin disorder. Whenever I bake muffins, I fill the muffin cups improperly and end up with maximum 11 instead of 12 muffins. I think I just remember things (food items, specifically?) as being bigger than they actually are. Case in point, when I was circling the grocery store scouting for muffin ingredients, I saw regular muffin liners and balked at their small size. Instead, I bought those labeled géant, convinced that they were the correct size for my muffin tin, even though the medium size was coloured in pink, yellow and blue, which I remembered from the last time I bought muffin liners. Of course, the géant liners were in fact géant and rose above the cups of my muffin tin.

And I ended up with 10 muffins. 10 moist, beautiful muffins, warm with spices and bursting with nutritiousness. When you pull these muffins apart, they're flecked with the bright orange and green of the carrot and zucchini - it adds a bit of visual interest and texture to your standard brown muffin. The bittersweet cranberries top off these muffins perfectly.

healthy harvest muffins
Adapted from Jennifer Hill's recipe from Roger's Foods

Makes 12 muffins 

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup milk (I used whole milk as I had it on hand for another recipe)
1 1/2 cups combined grated zucchini and grated carrot (any ratio is fine)
3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries

  • Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
  • In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
  • In another medium bowl, combine eggs, oil, milk, carrot and zucchini.
  • Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet, stirring to incorporate and eliminate flour patches, but not over-mixing. Fold in cranberries.
  • Fill muffin cups approximately 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment