Tuesday, September 13, 2011

pulled pork with bourbon orange coriander barbecue sauce


One thing that is awesome about Quebec is the weather. I know a lot of people will disagree with me. They don't like feels like 40 summers and -30 winters. They don't like Breakfast at Tiffany's rainstorms. I can't say I would always enjoy this weather. For example, I don't like the heat unless I literally don't have to do anything aside from sipping a glass of cold lemonade on the balcony with a good book. I don't care for -30 temperatures when I'm standing at a bus stop. I could do without Breakfast at Tiffany's rainstorms when I'm on my way home from work and wearing flats. That being said, the weather here is interesting. There is nothing 'blah' about it. Someone once said to me that the weather here forces you to change up your routines. It definitely does, and that's such a good thing!

Today we had a Breakfast at Tiffany's rainstorm. This was the perfect time for (leftover) comfort food. Over the weekend I turned to Joy the Baker's bourbon orange coriander barbecue sauce. I was intrigued from the moment I first clapped eyes on her tantalizing photos. I was also hankering for pulled pork, so I decided to throw the two together because, why not?

Truthfully, I think this sauce would work better with chicken as Joy recommended. Also, instead of using actual bourbon, I used Jack Daniels because we found a small bottle for $15 and I couldn't bring myself to spend $40 on a bottle of bourbon just for cooking. I'd never drink it. Still, everything seemed to work well enough together, but as I said - perhaps see this as a bonus post where you get two recipes that don't necessarily need to be used together.

The recipe for the rub makes a ton. I've halved the recipe from the original in Joy of Cooking and even still, I have tons leftover.


pulled pork
Adapted from Joy of Cooking 

southern barbecue dry rub
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cayenne
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp cracked black peppercorns

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Divide before use.

pork

1 pork shoulder blade roast, 2 - 3 lbs
southern barbecue dry rub
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce

Trim excess fat from roast, then rub it with the southern barbecue dry rub. Allow to marinate for up to 24 hour hours - or don't.

Preheat oven to 325ºF.

In a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot, heat vegetable oil and brown roast on all sides. Cover and bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the meat is falling apart when you pull at it with a fork. Drain the fat from the pan then shred the roast with a fork. Add barbecue sauce. Serve with bread and coleslaw.

bourbon orange coriander barbecue sauce

3 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup bourbon
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Sautee the onion in the oil until softened, then add garlic. After a minute, turn the heat to low and add the bourbon. Scrape all the good bits from the sides of the pan. When bourbon is warm, add all the other ingredients and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment