Saturday, September 17, 2011

orzo salad with chickpeas, feta and fresh dill



Have you ever had orzo? It's pasta with an identity crisis. It looks like rice. Funnily enough, the first time I had orzo, it was in rice. It was really good.

The inspiration for the orzo salad comes from someone I worked with in Vancouver. She brought it to the Christmas office potluck and it was love at first bite. Of course, I begged for the recipe. I got it, but then I lost it... so I've been guessing at it ever since. It seems to have worked out well. This salad is quite light and refreshing, but at the same time it could be a meal in itself. It's a great side dish for summer barbecues (so perhaps you can try that next year! Har!).

orzo salad with chickpeas, feta and fresh dill

1 cup uncooked orzo
1/4 cup chopped chives
3/4 cup crumbled feta
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1 19 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed

dressing
5 tbsp light oil (I use Becel - it's flavourless)
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt

Cook orzo according to package instructions. Drain and cool under cold water, then dump in a salad bowl along with chives, feta, fresh dill and chickpeas.

Combine all salad dressing ingredients. Stir well, then add the desired amount of dressing to the salad just before serving. You don't need to use it all. Toss well and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment