Thursday, May 5, 2011

spicy sweet chili chicken wings with mango


Well, it's late. I'm exhausted and I'm full of chicken wings. I need to sleep immediately. However, I won't let that stop me from sharing a recipe with you. The inspiration for these chicken wings came from two sources - extreme hunger, and fact that Adam said the words "chicken wings" to me over the phone. He wasn't even talking about good chicken wings. They were nasty ones that he ate with his coworkers at a bar after work. Nevertheless, it put ideas in my head. When I am hungry, I am extremely suggestible, and I am always in the mood for chicken in a sweet and spicy chili sauce! With mango!

You can adjust the amount of chili paste you put in the sauce. I am sure that different brands have different levels of heat, so you may want to start slowly and add more at the end if you need to.  However, the more chili paste you add, the more of that wicked chili flavour you will get. I think next time, I will try 3 tablespoons because I wanted a little more heat and a little more chili. This recipe makes enough sauce that you can get your rice wet, too.


spicy sweet chili chicken wings with mango
The recipe is mine, but thank you to Foodess for teaching me how to make wings... :)

1 kg chicken wings
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp chili paste (or to your taste)
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup honey
2 large cloves of garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
1 mango, diced

Mix together in a small bowl the sesame oil, chili paste, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, garlic and ginger. If you are clever enough to plan ahead (unlike me), marinate your chicken wings for a few hours in the sauce.

Preheat your oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with foil (do this, and you will save yourself the nightmare of scrubbing your pan). Arrange your wings on the foil in a single layer. Throw the diced mango over your wings and bake for approximately 35 minutes, turning once halfway through.

While your wings are in the oven, boil what remains of the marinade in a small pot until it is reduced to a syrupy consistency. Baste your wings twice with this sauce while they are in the oven.

When the chicken is cooked through, toss your wings and mangoes in the syrupy glaze and serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment