Sunday, May 29, 2011

roasted broccoli


Alright. I know I promised all six of you who follow me on twitter that I would be presenting you with something a lot more exciting than roasted broccoli this morning. Well... it's more that I gave you a sneak peak of what's coming up in the next couple of days, even though I ate it for breakfast a couple of hours ago. I invite you to follow me on twitter, but when you discover what I ate for breakfast, please don't judge me.

In my defense, right after I took my breakfast out of the oven, I put in the broccoli. Does one cancel out the other? I'm going to let you in on a secret: I liked the roasted broccoli more. This is the second time I have made it, and it took a Herculean effort not to devour the whole plate in a mad, gluttonous frenzy. It's perfect. Charred and crispy, salty and a bit spicy... it's realistic to expect that when I am at home alone for dinner, I will be preparing a batch of this and eating it, in its entirety, by myself.

This recipe comes from the excellent blog not without salt. The first time around, I made the roasted broccoli hummus, but discovered that I liked the broccoli much better on its own. Roasted broccoli is as fast and as simple as can be. Without further ado...

roasted broccoli
adapted from not without salt

1 lb broccoli florets
2 tbsps olive oil
1/4 tsp chili flakes
scant 1/4 tsp salt

Preheat your oven to 400ºF.

Hack your broccoli florets into long and skinny stalks, and loosely arrange them on a foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle the oil as evenly as possible over your broccoli, then sprinkle chili flakes and salt, then toss until everything is evenly coated.

Roast for 13 minutes, then pull the tray out of the oven and turn your florets. Bake for another 12 minutes, or until your stalks have those delicious brown and crispy bits!

No comments:

Post a Comment