Sunday, April 10, 2011

buttermilk mixed berry muffins


I am a morning person. After spending my teenage years (and my early 20s) sleeping until the afternoon (yes, after noon), I am finally one of those people that non-morning-people hate. I am peppy, cheerful and excited to take on the day. My boundless morning energy has me washing dishes, sweeping floors and doing other such housework. With my lack of grace - or, as Adam says, my lack of proprioceptive sense - it is a nice gesture to placate the late sleeper in the house with baked goods to make up for all the crashing around. These muffins make a wonderful peace offering.  Not only are they fruity and delicious, but they contain three out of four food groups. What more could you want?


buttermilk mixed berry muffins
adapted from Joy of Cooking

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk (or milk + 1 tbsp plain white vinegar mixed in)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted (or 1/4 cup vegetable oil)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups mixed berries of your choice (I used frozen blueberries, strawberries and cranberries)

Preheat your oven to 400ºF and grease or line your muffin tin. If you are using milk and vinegar instead of buttermilk, now is the time to prepare it, as it needs to sit for a few minutes to work its magic.

In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a small bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, sugar, butter and vanilla.

Make a well in your dry ingredients, then pour in the wet. Stir until partially combined, then add in your fruit and mix only until you've incorporated the flour. Fill your muffin tin and bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment