Monday, October 24, 2011

orange-scented apple blackberry crisp


You might think it's difficult to find a use for 20 lbs of apples. Don't worry, I'll find one - even if I end up munching through the whole bag myself. See, I'm an apple-a-day kind of girl. I bring one to work every day with my lunch (unless I fail it up at the food court). Unfortunately, I seem to enjoy a crisp apple a little too much. I've recently become aware that when I eat apples, it's not pleasant. It's noisy and unladylike. This new development is the subject of much hilarity in our household.

One way to keep yourself from French-Bulldogging-it with an apple is to cook it. Everyone will appreciate your efforts, especially if you bake your apples in this orange scented apple blackberry crisp. I really love the blackberry orange combination. Apples and blackberries are also a match made in heaven. I know they say that apples and oranges are, well, apples and oranges... but I dare say that this delectable dessert blows that expression out of the water.

orange scented apple blackberry crisp

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
1/4 cup flour
1 cup large flake oats
6 cups apples, peeled and sliced
2 cups blackberries
1 1/2 tsp finely minced orange zest
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 375ºF.

Cream butter and brown sugar, then add flour. Once flour is distributed, add oats and scrunch together. Set aside.

Toss apples, blackberries and zest in a medium bowl. Combine flour and granulated sugar, then toss with fruit. Dump that in an 8 or 9 inch baking dish and top with the oat mixture. Bake for 45 minutes or until the juice is bubbling up along the sides.

Serve this with unsweetened whipped cream. Magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment