Wednesday, August 10, 2011

cookies 'n cream brownies


I've said it before and I'll say it again: I can't stand chocolate desserts. Wow, I really hate them for real. Sometimes though, I get the urge to bake them and prove to myself that I don't like them. Last night I did both of those things. Again.

This is no warning against these particular brownies - feedback from others indicated that they were delicious - it's just my own personal weird thing. I think that chocolate is just inherently too rich for me. Strike one. And further, if there's actual unsweetened or bittersweet chocolate in a recipe, it requires a metric ton of sugar to be "tasty" and for me, that's strike two. Just... blech. Still though, these brownies were whimsical, fun to make and popular with friends and coworkers alike. They were also worth it for the icing, which I licked off and enjoyed immensely.

cookies 'n cream brownies
Adapted from Another Cup of Sugar by Anna Olson

3 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/3 unsalted butter
1/2 cup cream cheese, room temperature (I used philly light)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 oreos, chopped

icing

1/2 cup cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
6 oreos, chopped

Preheat oven to 350ºF and butter a 9" pan.

Melt the butter and chocolate in a small pot, then allow to cool.

In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until soft with a hand beater. Add sugar and continue beating until well incorporated and smooth. Add vanilla then eggs. Beat one at a time. Stir in chocolate mixture.


In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Fold into cream cheese and chocolate mixture. Add chopped oreos. I baked mine for approximately 18 minutes, but I felt it was a little too long (I think my oven is a bit nuts). I would try 15 minutes next time. The original recipe calls for the brownies to bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

To make the icing, beat the cream cheese and butter together, then add the icing sugar and vanilla. Beat until incorporated. Fold in the Oreo chunks.

When the brownies have cooled, spread the icing evenly over them, then chill at least one hour before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment