Tuesday, July 5, 2011

persian wrap with tomato, feta and fresh herbs


Sometimes I turn into a huge baby. I wish I could say this was a rare occurrence, but unfortunately it happens on a semi-regular basis. I can't tell you how lucky I am that Adam just laughs it off, tells me I'm being ridiculous, then proceeds to take care of me.

Last night was one such instance of babydom. After a long day of work, I was so hungry that my stomach was eating itself. Compounding this was the fact that it was hot and muggy outside, therefore it was disgusting in our apartment. We walked to a restaurant to get some dinner, only to find it closed. DISASTER! At this stage I had reached the point of no return - where nothing, absolutely nothing, would make me happy. I was cranky, hungry, hot and lacking fresh air. Adam came to the rescue as he always does, this time with the idea of recreating Byblos' delicious Persian wraps. Of course, I didn't come around to this idea until we got home from the store and I'd devoured about 100 local strawberries like a maniac. Unwashed. I'm so ashamed.

This isn't so much a recipe - you won't find any quantities or measurements here. Just ideas - not my ideas - and hopefully some inspiration.

If you live in Vancouver, get your feta at Parthenon in Kitsilano. You will have the choice at least three fetas - one (possibly two) goat fetas, one dry crumbly cow feta and one creamy cow feta. Go for the creamy cow. I'd stuck to the dry crumbly stuff for years because it was safe and familiar, then once I tried the creamy cow, I felt like an idiot. The creamy cow feta there is also the closest in taste and texture to the original Byblos wrap. I haven't found this feta at any markets here in Montreal... yet.

persian wrap with tomato, feta and fresh herbs

1 whole wheat pita bread or tortilla
diced tomatoes
feta
chopped green onion
whole leaves of fresh dill, cilantro and mint (lots!)

yogurt sauce - I used approx 1/2 cup of plain yogurt, 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice and some salt.

Layer your pita with your fresh herbs. Don't chop them, and don't be afraid to use a lot - the strong herbs are what make this wrap so amazing. Next add the green onions, tomatoes and feta. Drizzle with yogurt sauce and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment